BUILDING CODE CONSULTING
The purpose of the Model Building Codes is to protect public health, safety, and general welfare as they relate to the construction and occupancy of buildings and structures.
As with the Fire Code, the building code becomes law of a particular jurisdiction when formally enacted by the appropriate governmental authority, usually with local amendments that provide requirements in excess of what the model building code requires. Building and Fire Codes must be evaluated together, and when they disagree, the most restrictive or conservative requirement must apply.
Fire protection engineers routinely balance the needs of the building and fire codes, and our expertise in this area allows projects to progress smoothly from schematic design phase through to construction.
Some of the building code consulting services we provide are:
- Height and area evaluations
- Siting of buildings on a lot or in a subdivision
- Determination of required fire resistant building components and opening protectives
- Occupancy classifications and occupant loads
- Occupancy separation requirements
- Egress analyses (means of egress capacity and locations, door and stair widths, exit separation distances, travel distances, etc.)
- Hazardous area protection requirements
- Interior finish requirements
- Fire alarm and fire suppression system requirements